Smallest Exchangeable Drilling Inserts in the Market (from 4 mm Diameter) Now Available at 8 L/D Ratio with SUMOCHAM Line
ISCAR is expanding the small diameter range of its leading SUMOCHAM hole making line, for drilling depths up to 8 drill diameter
Following considerable success and market demand, ISCAR is expanding the SUMOCHAM straight shank design drill family in 8 L/D ratio to include a 4.0 - 5.9 mm diameter range.
The new drills can carry a variety of drilling heads for machining different types of materials and all kind of applications, such as: ICP, ICK, ICM, FCP, HCP & QCP.
The SUMOCHAM DCN drills feature cylindrical shanks, which enable clamping of the drill in hydraulic toolholders (most recommended) or in spring collets.
Using an HCP or QCP head eliminates the need to make a pre-hole prior to drilling the 8xD depth.
Otherwise, it is recommended to drill a pre-hole by using a DCN 1.5xD drill or a centering drill (check the user guide below).
Indexable Head Drills with Coolant Holes and Cylindrical Shanks, Drilling Depth 8xD
1) Cutting diameter minimum
• Do not mount smaller drilling heads other than the specified range of the drill body
(2) Cutting diameter maximum
(3) Seat size code
(4) Master insert identification
- When drilling stainless steel or high temperature alloys using the ICM drilling head, it is highly recommended to apply high pressure oil or 7-10% mineral or vegetable based oil emulsion.
- For optimal performance, it is recommended to adjust runout of outer points or chisel with a maximum of 0.02 mm.
Large runout will influence drill performance tool life and hole quality.
- No setup time is needed after indexing the SUMOCHAM drill head.
- SUMOCHAM drills can be used either on milling centers or lathe machines.
- When using SUMOCHAM drill in stationary (lathe) applications, we recommend using the ISCAR GYRO device or eccenter sleeve to reduce misalignment. Misalignment will cause poor performance of the SUMOCHAM drill or even tool breakage.
Pre-hole 0.5xD deep for centering
Slow rotation and feed while entering to the pre-hole
Maintain for 2-3 seconds and activate the cooling system
Continue drilling at recommended cutting conditions
- Prior to using 8xD or 12xD drills, it is recommended to drill a 0.5xD pre-hole using a short or centering drill.
Enter the pre-hole at slow speed and feed until 2-5 mm from its bottom. Start the cooling system and increase rotation to recommended drilling speed. Hold for 2-3 seconds, then continue at the recommended drilling feed.
*For proper insert performance and centering, a bigger insert within a 1.0 mm range of the same diameter may be used
Drilling Head Mounting Procedure
Coolant Flow Rate
Drill Diameter D (mm)
Minimum Coolant Pressure
Up to 2XD
Use external coolant during penetration when machining ISO M materials
The NPA21-2020's pdf file: View (PDF)
or Download (ZIP)