SUMOCHAM 12xD Line Expansion Now Available from 6mm Diameter
A new development for the SUMOCHAM family – ISCAR adds a drill with an exchangeable carbide cutting head for drilling depths of up to 12 times the drill diameter.
Following considerable success and a huge market demand, ISCAR is expanding the SUMOCHAM DCN drill family in 12 L/D ratio to include a Ø6-7.5mm diameter range.
The new drills can carry a variety of drilling heads for machining different types of materials and all types of applications, such as: ICP, ICK, ICM, ICN, FCP, HCP, QCP and ICG.
The SUMOCHAM DCN drills feature cylindrical shanks, which enable clamping of the drill in hydraulic toolholders (most recommended) or in spring collets.
Using an HCP or QCP head eliminates the need to make a pre-hole prior to drilling the 12xD depth. Otherwise, it is recommended to drill a pre-hole by using a DCN 1.5xD drill or a centering drill (check the user guide below).
Indexable Head Drills with Coolant Holes and Cylindrical Shanks, Drilling Depth 12xD
1) Cutting diameter minimum
• Do not mount smaller drilling heads other than the specified range of the drill body
(2) Cutting diameter maximum
(3) Seat size code
(4) Master insert identification
Pre-hole 0.5xD deep for centering
Slow rotation and feed while entering to the pre-hole
Maintain for 2-3 seconds and activate the cooling system
Continue drilling at recommended cutting conditions
- Prior to using 8xD or 12xD drills, it is recommended to drill a 0.5xD pre-hole using a short or centering drill.
Enter the pre-hole at slow speed and feed until 2-5 mm from its bottom. Start the cooling system and increase rotation to recommended drilling speed. Hold for 2-3 seconds, then continue at the recommended drilling feed.
- When drilling stainless steel or high temperature alloys using the ICM drilling head, it is highly recommended to apply high pressure oil or 7-10% mineral or vegetable based oil emulsion.
- For optimal performance, it is recommended to adjust runout of outer points or chisel with a maximum of 0.02 mm. Large runout will influence drill performance tool life and hole quality.
- No setup time is needed after indexing the SUMOCHAM drill head.
- SUMOCHAM drills can be used either on milling centers or lathe machines.
- When using SUMOCHAM drill in stationary (lathe) applications, we recommend using the FINE FIT chuck with center alignment. Misalignment will cause poor performance of the SUMOCHAM drill or even tool breakage.
*For proper insert performance and centering, a bigger insert within a 1.0 mm range of the same diameter may be used
Maximum Runout, Misalignment
Drilling Head Mounting Procedure
Indication of Drill Head Wear
(1) New drilling head
(2) Worn-out drilling head
Vibration Noise Drastically Increases
Ø > D nominal + 0.15 mm
Ø < D nominal - 0.03 mm
Surface Finish Declines
Recommended Machining Conditions
- When using external coolant supply only, reduce cutting speed by 10%
- Use internal coolant supply when machining austenitic stainless steel
- When using more than 5XD drill ratio, reduce cutting parameters by 10%
Recommended cutting data
(1) As a starting value, the middle of the recommended machining range should be used.
Then, according to the wear results, conditions can be changed to optimize performance.
The data refers to carbide grade IC908
The NPA23-2020's pdf file: View (PDF)
or Download (ZIP)